Cairns, Australia, 4878
Joined on March, 2013
Weekdays after 3PM
Up to 15 minutes away for no additional charge
EducationJunior Environmental Studies/ Geology major, Rhetoric and Communication minor at James Cook University, Cairns (Study abroad student- here for one semester)
Junior Environmental Studies/ Geology major, Rhetoric and Communication minor at St. Lawrence University, NY USA (home university) 3.7/4.0 GPA. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2014 and plan to go on to receive my masters in elementary science education and hope to one day teach science to grade 4 and grade 5 students.
Experience-Previous Tutoring Experience: For one semester I was a teacher's assistant at St. Lawrence University for a professor in the geology department. I facilitated labs, aided in questions, and brought students to field labs. I also aided in studying and I proctored lab examinations.
- As an Environmental Studies and Geology major, I have taken an array of courses in both subjects. I also have a minor in Rhetoric and Communication Studies, which has allowed me to master the art of Public Speaking.
- Currently I am studying abroad at James Cook University for the semester. When I return to the States in June I will be conducting my own research in the field of dendrochronology in which I will look at trees within a selected field site in the Adirondack Mountains. I will be looking at tree growth patterns and correlate data I collect to climatic patterns.
- I have had other employment in the past besides just being a teacher's assistant. I have waitressed for over three years, I have babysat for over four years, I was a caller for my University at home in which I got in touch with alumni, and I have cleaned houses and mowed lawns as well.
- At St. Lawrence University I am a member of the Environmental Action Organization and I have participated in many volunteer events such as providing free meals to the local community.
- Honors/Awards: During my first year of my undergraduate study, I was awarded the Bradley R. Evers Outstanding Student Award, and during my third year I became a member of Sigma Gamma Epsilon, the National Honor Society for Earth Sciences. I have been named to the Deans List (GPA higher than 3.6) every semester of my education and I am also a North Country Augsbury Scholar.
HobbiesA few of the things I enjoy the most are working with children, biking, walking, reading, photography, spending time with pets, and being with my family. I have a passion for learning and enhancing my education. I come from a poor economic area in New York and I truly value education and the importance of getting an education to further oneself. Ever since I was a young child I have dreamed of being a teacher and I have always had a love for science. I knew by getting a degree in Environmental Science and Geology, I would be able to use that strong core of study to become a teacher and share my love for learning.
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.